There are hundreds of hosting providers in the market, and some of them are fairly unknown despite offering fair services. KnownHost is one such name that is been in existence for well over a decade. It provides shared, VPS hosting and dedicated hosting services. Our KnownHost shared hosting review dives deep into what the platform offers and how you can benefit from it.
KnownHost is a private web hosting provider which has headquarter in Alabama. It administers customers from over 150 nations, with data centers in the US and Netherlands.
As of 2006, web hosting was nowhere as universal as it is now. Setting up a website without dedicated servers was hard, and KnownHost aimed to make it simple. The company expanded steadily and now serves thousands of companies across the globe. Its customers include cybersecurity, medical billing, and retail companies, and others. Individuals business constitutes an important part of its customer base as well.
- Ideal for single domain professional and personal sites. Built on a high-performance architecture, our fully managed shared hosting is fast, secure and reliable.
- Get your WordPress® site up and running in no time. Easy to set up, tailored to your exact needs and ultra-fast speeds. Ongoing updates are on us.
- Have multiple domains or want to manage individualized web hosting packages for clients? Enjoy premium bandwidth and our most popular bundle of features.
- Ready to take control of your single-server environment with full root access and an integrated cPanel to customize configurations, install/manage application
KnownHost Review: In Comparison with the Best WordPress Hosting Services
KnownHost is an established US-based hosting provider known for its excellent, yet well-priced and fully managed hosting products. It may not be the most budget-friendly hosting out there, but it does give us a high level of quality.
It does not matter how high-quality a hosting company is if you have a plan and a budget for your site that do not match. The good news is that KnownHost offers a 30-day-money-back warranty, so you can devour some time working with it and see if you like to continue to pay for their services. Users of dedicated server hosting are not given this option.
Overall, getting your website up and running will be easier, and they offer good customer service. Any queries of yours that come up will be responded to by email, typically after a few minutes.
Of course, it does not matter if the customer service is fast and they are not knowledgeable. Relax, this isn’t the issue with the KnownHost. We were surprised that the support team is present 24/7
When we reached out to them, they understood all the things we were asking, and it was clear they knew what to do in each situation. We got precise clarity and honesty about the issues we had. These are things to be appreciated and praised, particularly when offered by such a widespread hosting provider. Many times even small names in the industry act like they do not have time for the average customer.
Knownhost improves continuously, and even if the company stops for a while, it will still be ahead of numerous other hosting providers.
What is KnownHost?
Established in the USA, KnownHost has been in the hosting industry since 2006. Today they are known for their wide set of various hosting solutions which is able to cover the requirements of the majority of companies. They run thousands of servers in data centers spread across the globe. These can be found in Amsterdam, Dallas, Seattle, and Baltimore (all of which are in the USA). Another thing they have in abundance is their ambition as they claim to rise every day and continue to do so.
Another ambition of theirs is to decrease their carbon footprint to a minimum by powering their facilities with green energy. With this in mind, KnownHost united with the US Environmental Protection Agency’s Green Power Partnership and persisted in raising the awareness of its users on the issue of environmental safety. To rephrase their words, KnownHost aims to be a more promising company not only for their customers but for the environment as well. For this reason, we also happy to share the KnowHost review details with you.
Want to try KnownHost? Check out their website here
Infrastructure and Network KnownHost Review
It will be meaningless KnowHost review or review of any web host and not provide facts about its underlying infrastructure, so here it is. The company uses three data centers – two in the US (Seattle and Atlanta) and one in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Each KnownHost data center is connected to multiple 10-gigabit backbones to boost network speed.
Security is an essential aspect of physical data centers. It will interest you to know that every KnownHost data center is guarded 24/7 by on-site personnel. There’s also all-round video supervision with a minimum of 90-days of video retention.
KnownHost: The Good And The Bad
The most essential feature of KnownHost is the LiteSpeed webserver that they propose on all plans. It also has free backups and malware scanning. However, the cost is high compared to equivalent competitors. I will reveal both the good and the bad in this KnownHost review.
We found following pros while KnownHost review.
Optimized for WordPress
Instant Account Setup & Free Migrations
Good for eCommerce
Free Domain and WHOIS Privacy
The answer to why KnownHost can deliver such high uptime is its strong setup. The provider is HIPAA, PCI DSS, and SSAE 16 SOC 2 Type II compliant with N+1 redundant systems. You can read more information on power systems, security measures, and networking on KnownHost’s website.
The standard server machine is equipped with:
- Dual hexa-core Intel Xeon processors
- DDR4 ECC RAM
- RAID-10 redundant SATA SSD storage
KnownHost hypervisor the infrastructure and utilize the shared plans on top of the cloud setup. This guarantees no plan is compromised if a particular server machine goes down or needs to be shut off for maintenance.
The managed hosting provider utilizes CloudLinux to create its client accounts. This is a distribution that is developed specifically for shared hosting.
It assures greater account isolation than typically shared plans, so clients hosted on identical servers can not interfere with each other. This effectively guarantees you can access the resources you buy, effectively resolving one of the most prominent pitfalls of shared hosting.
The server stack is established on LiteSpeed—a premium web server. It generally has better security than conventional Apache/Nginx. Even better, it loads static content way quicker, leading to better load times.
It also allows you to access LiteSpeed-specific caching plugins. These are functional for CMSs like WordPress and shopping carts like PrestaShop and OpenCart. You can get unmatched performance if you require e-commerce or managed WordPress hosting.
The provider supports numerous other speed optimization technologies like QUIC and OPcache.
KnownHost has powerful hardware, and the well-optimized setup only adds to its strength.
KnownHost offers automatic integration and one-click installation for WordPress, Joomla, and MediaWiki
This is the main benefit for most users because it gives them the option to choose another website and migration without hustle. It is even more comfortable for users who already use CMS options because knownHost will install it for you with just one click.
The most famous CMS option that DreamHost supports is WordPress. You will have the easiest time incorporating this into your hosting provider. DreamHost also lets you choose any WordPress theme or plugin for your site. Basically, you will have full control of your website’s look, while DreamHost does all the essentials behind the scenes.
Optimized for WordPress
WordPress is everyone’s favored CMS. That’s why KnownHost has impressive WordPress-ready plans.
Like standard hosting, these run on the LiteSpeed web server. Merged with the LiteSpeed Cache WP plugin, this can get you excellent WordPress speeds.
But the advantages do not end here.
Managed WordPress hosting adds automatic WordPress updates. The system will assure your core software, plugins, and themes are up-to-date without you having to hold track of new releases. It is a huge time-saver, as all potential exposures are all patched up.
The WordPress plans operate a custom control panel. This maintains all the key features while allowing for the comfortable management of WordPress-related features.
The plans incorporate WP-CLI and Git, making them ideal for more advanced WordPress users.
There is a lot to like about the WordPress offers. A bunch of KnownHost reviews are praising the service, and for good reason.
Instant Account Setup & Free Migrations
No one likes buying a hosting plan and waiting for weeks for verification. That is why KnownHost lets you get started as soon as you are done with the checkout page.
If you already have a hosting account with any other hosting providers then KnownHost can manage the migration for free, including a QA follow-up.
KnownHost routinely migrates sites between the standard control panels. If your site is hosted on Plesk, cPanel, or DirectAdmin, the provider can move it to a KnownHost DirectAdmin or cPanel account at no extra charge.
If you are hosted on another system, the migration would cost $35/hour. You can contact KnownHost and get an estimation of how long the process would take, although it is less than an hour in most cases.
Overall, KnownHost’s expert team can handle the migration of your site. Most customers will be able to get the migration for free, which is wonderful.
Hosting servers are consistently exposed to all sorts of malware and cyber-attacks. For these reasons, you look for a provider that can bear whatever gets thrown at it.
KnownHost starts off with powerful DDoS protection. It can endure attacks up to 500Gbps and a 700mpps packet processing rate.
The fully managed web hosting plans come with Immunify360 also which is a strong malware prevention software. It supports a web application firewall, malware scanning, intrusion detection, cleanup, and many other features. It incorporates naturally into cPanel, so you can effortlessly track the health of your server.
Lastly, you can access Patchman security, which is used by enterprise leaders like DreamHost. It can patch up various exposures of CMSs like Joomla, WordPress, and Drupal. If you are a CMS lover, it will add an extra layer of safety to your site—and who doesn’t want that?
Of course, the tech team still works tirelessly to solidify server security and catch any hazards. KnownHost assures maximum security for your website.
Good for eCommerce
KnownHost does not leave business website owners. In fact, the plans have a bunch of features to help them out.
The managed hosting provider is perfect for running various e-commerce apps like OpenCart, AbanteCart, and X-Cart. The server stack does astonishments for the performance of these apps.
One thing to indicate in my KnownHost review is that the shared hosting plans all have a PHP memory limitation of 256MB. This is sufficient for most shopping carts, but it is a bit low for Magento. If you want to run that e-commerce platform, the provider’s VPS plans have a more powerful environment.
The provider does provide users a solid and throws in an IPv6 address for free with all plans. The feature is worthwhile for running email campaigns or forming custom certificates. This is incredible for businesses that want to establish a brand identity.
Talking, KnownHost resells various SSL certificates by the leading providers like GeoTrust and Sectigo. Since the company is a reseller, these are available at lowered price than when buying directly from the certificate authority.
It’s an amazing option if you want to get both hosting and an SSL certificate from KnownHost. If not, there are a ton of SSL issuers to choose from.
Of course, you always get a free SSL certificate that you can install using the cPanel.
You get access to advanced emailing tools also. You can choose from various webmail clients and set up spam protection or autoresponders.
KnownHost is fully business-ready, and it presents a few helpful add-ons to get your business website that little bit of extra push starts.
Free Domain and WHOIS Privacy
When doing analysis for this 2022 KnownHost review, I was cautious of its free domain offer. Many hosting providers offer free domain registration, but then they overcharge you for domain privacy and give you ridiculous domain renewal fees.
I am happy to report that KnownHost has a very reasonable price. For instance, a .com domain would cost you $5.95/year, which is what you would spend with most domain registrars.
Even better, the host provides WHOIS privacy with your domain name, and that stays free always. The service is important for keeping your info out of the public record and preventing spam.
It’s a real delight!
We found following cons while KnownHost review.
Slim Choice of Data Centers
Difficult to Break out of Shared Hosting
Limited Cloud Plans
Slim Choice of Data Centers
KnownHost has three establishments located in Atlanta, Seattle, and Amsterdam. This gives it an upright presence in the US and Europe. Still, KnownHost’s coverage cannot match that of a few global providers.
It is up to you to choose if the available data centers perform for your target audience.
Difficult to Break out of Shared Hostin
Shared hosting is where most websites begin. A good shared plan can last you for years, and also it won’t cost you much.
That said, many websites ultimately outgrow shared hosting. When that happens, you want an easy hop to VPS.
Unfortunately, the smallest KnownHost VPS plan commands 2.5 times more than the biggest shared one, even though it has equivalent resources. If you need a resource upgrade, you might have to spend four times as much.
Obviously, it is a pretty considerable price jump between shared and VPS hosting. KnownHost is at a bit of a drawback if you plan on growing your site.
Limited Cloud Plans
Another thing dissatisfying we found during the knowHost review is it Cloud hosting is all the craze. However, many KnownHost reviews forget to mention the cloud plans are not as adaptable as you might think.
The provider has just three plans with preset resources. Their main benefit is outstretching website data across more physical servers than usual. This makes them more trustworthy than a typical virtual server.
Other than this, the cloud plans do not have strong advantages over standard VPS, despite being more costly. You overlook all the flexibility and scalability you’d expect out of quality cloud hosting.
KnownHost Review Pricing Overview:
Although KnownHost is known for its managed hosting services, other choices are not far back when it comes to quality, dependability, and budget-friendly cost. These choices include shared hosting, cloud hosting, reseller, VPS, WordPress, dedicated servers, and additional cloud services. All of these solutions have sufficient plans to fit most needs and present flexible billing cycles where you can select whether you want to be billed on a monthly, semi-annual, or annual basis.
The simplest shared hosting plan begins from $3.47 (originally $8.95) for one month and will support one domain, five e-mail accounts, and two MySQL databases. Further, this package includes 5GB of storage on the cloud, unmetered bandwidth, an SSL certificate (and you’ll get one with each domain with KnownHost), and the Patchman which is a malware cleaner.
With all of its hosting plans, KnownHost will present you with an “unconditional” 30-day money-back guarantee, which is nowadays essential for all providers that want to keep up with the industry norms.
Payment methods that KnownHost accepts are rather a regular fare: PayPal and credit cards.
KnownHost review found that it offers totally managed shared hosting plans that have LiteSpeed cache for improved performance. Their shared hosting plans also have automated backups, free SSL certificates, 24/7/365 support, one-click software installs, DDoS protection, server monitoring, and many other security features that guarantee your website safety and protection.
It’s worth noting that when it comes to shared hosting offered by KnownHost, you can pick between monthly, yearly, 2-year, and 3-year terms. Renewal prices will be a little higher than the initial signup price.
You can pick between three different plans:
- Basic — the Basic shared hosting plan lets you host one website. It includes 5GB of Cloud storage, 2 MySQL databases, 5 email accounts, and unlimited bandwidth. The price for this plan is $3.47 per month for a three-year signup period.
- Standard — the Standard plan lets you to host 5 websites and comes with 20GB of Cloud Storage and 5 MySQL databases. You will also get 25 email addresses and infinite bandwidth. The price for this plan is $6.47 per month for a three-year signup period.
- Professional — the Professional shared hosting plan lets you host unlimited websites. It includes unlimited storage, unlimited databases, unlimited email accounts, and unlimited bandwidth. The price for this plan is $9.97 per month for a three-year signup period.
When it comes to WordPress hosting, KnownHost presents two managed WordPress plans. Each plan is optimized for the requirements of hosting WordPress and has automatic updates, Imunify360 security, WP-CLI, and LiteSpeed Cache.
Managed WordPress hosting plans from KnownHost offers several other signup terms. Another thing that was surprising while KnownHost reviews is that; you can sign up for a month, 6 months, one year, or three years. Similar to other plans, the longer the signup term, the lower will be your price. Renewal prices are a little higher than the initial price. We explore two entry and business level pan while KnowHost review.
- Entry Level WP — this plan has 50GB of SSD storage and is ideal for hosting one small website. It includes unlimited email addresses and unlimited bandwidth and is fit for up to 100k monthly visitors. The price for this plan is $5.98 a month for a three-year signup term.
- Business Level WP — this plan lets you to host one website but comes with more resources. Namely, you will get 100GB of SSD storage, unlimited email addresses, and unlimited bandwidth. This plan is suitable for sites with up to 200k monthly visitors. The price for this plan is $9.98 a month for a three-year signup term.
If you are looking for dedicated hosting, KnownHost gets you covered. They present dedicated hosting, semi-dedicated, and budget-dedicated hosting. Each of these further breaks down into various plans, depending on the server configuration you pick.
- Dedicated Hosting — with dedicated hosting, you can pick between managed and unmanaged hosting, with plans starting at $41.65 per month for unmanaged servers and $158 per month for managed servers. With unmanaged servers, you still get the physical hardware management, monitoring & replacement but you will be responsible for managing the software and the safety. The most expensive plan is priced at $373 a month.
- Budget Dedicated Hosting — KnownHost’s Budget dedicated hosting plan uses budget servers and assures 99.99% uptime. However, you will be responsible for server management. Prices begin at $49 per month for the most basic server with 32GB of RAM, 10TB of bandwidth, and 240GB of storage. The most expensive plan is priced at $324 per month.
- Semi-Dedicated Hosting — KnownHost’s semi-dedicated hosting plans are ideal when you have outgrown your shared or reseller hosting but are not quite at the stage for VPS hosting. There are various plans to choose from, depending on the server configuration, with the lowest plan starting at $35 per month. It has 2GB of RAM, a free SSL certificate, 50GB storage space, and 50 cPanel accounts. The most expensive plan is priced at $90 per month.
Like any other hosting plans provided by KnownHost, the longer will be your signup term, the lower will be your price. You can pay for one month, 3 months, 6 months or a full year.
While knowHost review we were pleased about knowHost cloudhosting plans. Similar to dedicated hosting, KnownHost provides two different types of cloud hosting plans. You can pick from managed cloud hosting and unmanaged cloud hosting and each of those has several plans to select from. We found following interesting plans while KnownHost review.
- Managed Cloud Hosting — There are two managed cloud hosting plans. The managed cloud hosting plan comes with 4GB of RAM, 2TB bandwidth, and 60GB of cloud storage the price starts at $50 per month. The most expensive plan is priced at $120 per month.
- Unmanaged Cloud Hosting — Selecting unmanaged cloud hosting plan means you will be responsible for handling and securing the software and applications that operate on your server. There are six plans to choose from and the cheapest one costs $8 per month. It includes 1GB of RAM, 20GB of cloud storage, and 2TB bandwidth. The most expensive plan is priced at $100 per month.
Cloud hosting plans can be paid for on a monthly, three-month, six-month, and yearly basis. They all include 99.99% uptime, free DDoS protection, instant provisioning, white-labeling, and more.
Our KnownHost review found that, KnownHost offers three different tiers of VPS hosting. You can select from managed, unmanaged, and NVME VPS hosting plans. Like dedicated and cloud hosting plans, each of the VPS hosting levels breaks down further into separate plans.
- Managed VPS — KnownHost’s managed VPS hosting presents four different pricing plans, with the lowest one priced at $40 per month. This plan also offers 4GB RAM, 2TB of bandwidth, and 75GB RAID-10 SSD storage. The most expensive plan is priced at $100 per month.
- Unmanaged VPS — In unmanaged VPS hosting, you can select from six different plans on this tier, with the cheapest one priced at $5 per month. It has 1GB of RAM, 20GB RAID-10 SSD storage, and 1TB of bandwidth. The most expensive plan we tried while KnownHost review is priced at $80 per month.
NVMe VPS hosting — In NVMe VPS hosting plan has the best performance as it uses NVMe storage. You can pick between managed and unmanaged hosting. The managed hosting plans for this type of hosting begin at $44 per month and go up to $212 per month while the unmanaged plans start at $12 per month and go up to $192 month.
VPS hosting allows you to pay month-to-month, three months, six months, or every year for your selected plan. Like the other plans offered by KnownHost, you will get free migration, free DDoS protection, a 99.99% uptime guarantee, and free backups with all your plans.
If you are thinking about establishing your own hosting business, KnownHost reseller hosting is certainly worth looking into. Like other plans, their reseller hosting is fully managed and most of their addons are free so you can concentrate more on marketing your company.
Each reseller hosting plan comes with the capability to white-label the services, Softaculuous app installer, cPanel for easier management, free SSL certificates, DDoS protection, and more.
You can pick between four different plans:
- Basic — the Basic reseller hosting plan comes with 1.5GB RAM, 800GB of bandwidth, 25GB cloud storage space, and the ability to host 25 cPanel accounts. The price for this plan is $6.97 per month for a three-year signup period.
- Standard — this plan comes with 2GB RAM,1200GB of bandwidth, 50GB cloud storage space, and the ability to host 50 cPanel accounts. The price for this plan is $9.97 a month for a three-year signup period.
- Professional — the Professional plan includes 3GB RAM, 1600GB of bandwidth, 100GB cloud storage space, and the ability to host 75 cPanel accounts. The price for this plan is $14.97 per month for a three-year signup period.
- Premium — the final reseller plan comes with 4GB RAM, 4000GB of bandwidth, 200GB cloud storage space, and the ability to host 100 cPanel accounts. The price for this plan is $27.47 per month for a three-year signup period.
KnownHost may not be a major name like some of the other hosting companies but it is worth signing up for. They offer outstanding uptime and great loading time which averaged around 1007ms for server response time and 1.25 seconds for page load time.
They also present competitive pricing and managed services which makes them one of the more reasonable hosting companies in the managed host arena.
While their support can be slightly slow to respond, they are available around the clock and they are US-based. That was all our today KnowHost review.
With all the things considered, KnownHost is the hosting company I feel comfortable recommending.